Modell's is proud to be in your community. Throughout our history dating back to 1889, Modell's has been focused on programs that support families, youth, education, and physical activity. We view each customer as our neighbor and strive to:
- Improve the quality of life for our communities
- Make sports accessible to everyone
- Get kids more physically active
- Have real, positive, and measurable impact
Modell's has made charitable giving a top priority. Through our Team Weeks and Store Marketing Gift Card programs, Modell's provides non-profit groups with direct support as well as unique fundraising opportunities. The Store Marketing Gift Card program empowers our local stores to distribute gift cards to local non-profit organizations, schools, recreation centers, sports teams and leagues so that community members may purchase needed sports equipment, apparel and athletic footwear.
What We Don't Do
How to Apply for a Donation
What Happnes Next
How to Apply for a Product Donation
Looking for an Event or Team Sponsorship
Eligibility U.S. applicants must be tax-exempt, nonprofit organizations as defined under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or a unit of government if the contribution is solely for charitable or public purposes.
Geographic Focus We focus our corporate giving to communities where Modell's has a local retail presence.
Modell's will not support organizations that discriminate against a person or a group on the basis of age, political affiliation, race, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
What We Don't Do Modell's corporate giving philosophy does not include donations to:
- Individuals (Scholarships, stipends, fellowships, personal assistance)
- For-profit ventures
- Religious groups for religious purposes
- Capital campaigns, endowment funds or memorials
- Lobbying, political or fraternal activities
- Individual study, research or travel grants
How to Apply for a Donation Community members are invited to request support from their local Modell's Sporting Goods store. Proposals should be submitted in writing. Before preparing your proposal, please ensure that your nonprofit organization meets Modell's eligibility criteria. Proposals should include the following information in this order:
- Description of the organization, including its mission, major accomplishments, governance, area, and population served. Please note - all information must be presented on your organization's letterhead.
- Detailed description of the project or activity for which support is being requested, including the amount of the in-kind/cash support request.
- Include the date and location of fundraising event.
- Are you a member of our Team Weeks program? If yes, please identify the Modell's retail store where your group registered.
- Operating budget for the current fiscal year.
- Identification of funding sources for the current fiscal year and amounts received (including foundation, corporate, individual, and public support).
- List of any previous funding received from Modell's Sporting Goods and short project description.
- Project budget.
- List of current board members and key staff.
- Most recent financial statement.
- Copy of the organization's tax-exempt notification letter from the IRS or equivalent documentation.
Modell's may request additional information. Proposal materials, including photographs, videos, CDs, and special binders cannot be returned. Email or fax proposals will not be accepted. Send your completed proposal at least (8) weeks prior to the event date to the following address:
Community Affairs (Insert state event is occurring) Modell's Sporting Goods 498 Seventh Avenue, 20th Floor New York, NY 10018
What Happens Next? Eligible proposals are reviewed throughout the year. Donation requests will be accommodated based upon appropriate fit with guidelines and funding availability. Generally, applicants will be notified of the status of their request within four weeks of submitting a proposal.
Product Donations Each year, Modell's makes select product donations to nonprofit organizations dedicated to youth physical activity.
How to Apply for a Product Donation Product donation requests must be submitted directly to your local Modell's Sporting Goods stores. Donations are made based upon availability. If you are requesting product in support of an event, Modell's must receive your request at least 12 weeks before the event date. Requests for product should include the following information:
- Description of the organization, including mission, major accomplishments, governance, area, and population served.
- Detailed description of the project or activity and those benefiting for which product is being requested.
- Specific purpose of product, type of product, quantity and size run.
- Method of distribution, and accountability for delivery and utilization of product.
- Project budget.
- List of any previous product support received from Modell's Sporting Goods and short project description.
- Copy of the organization's tax-exempt notification letter from IRS or equivalent documentation.
Modell's may request additional information. Proposal materials, including photographs, videos, CDs, and special binders cannot be returned. Email or fax proposals will not be accepted.
What Happens Next? Requests for product are received throughout the year. Decisions are made monthly and based upon product availability. All eligible requests will receive prompt staff review and response. Generally, applicants will be notified of the status of their request within eight weeks.
Looking for an Event or Team Sponsorship? Modell's receives hundreds of unsolicited requests for sponsorship or marketing-related support each month. These unsolicited proposals are reviewed, but rarely funded. Instead, local sponsorship requests should be submitted at your neighborhood Modell's retail store.